Did you know that there are more options than sitting for the JEE or NEET and deciding to become a doctor or engineer? If not, let me inform you that in addition to taking the extremely tough JEE or NEET examinations, you can also pursue a career in research and innovation. There are outstanding institutions that are specifically created for individuals who are interested in this field of study. IISER are among those exceptional institutions.
However, how can you gain admission to these remarkable IISERs? What degree of difficulty does the entrance exam have? For it, how do you get ready? Let’s explore.
What are IISERs?
IISERs are seven institutes of national importance that offer world-class education and research opportunities in the basic and mathematical sciences. You can join these institutes through a five-year dual degree program in basic sciences (BS-MS) master’s program or a PhD program and learn from the best faculty in the country.
The IISERs are not just about classroom lectures, but also about hands-on experiments, projects, and collaborations. The IISERs have achieved many milestones in science and technology, such as developing new materials, discovering new species, and contributing to India’s space missions. By joining the IISERs, you can be a part of this exciting journey and make your mark in the scientific world.
For more details about these IISERs, refer to our blog: What are IISERs Famous For?
IISERs Entrance Exams:
To get admission into an IISER, you need to qualify through one of these two channels: JEE Advanced and IAT. Each channel has its eligibility criteria and cut-off marks. You can apply through any one of these channels, depending on your preference and performance.
- IAT: The most popular channel among students is the IAT, which is a computer-based test conducted by IISERs, IISc every year in May- June. To know more details about what IAT is, how to prepare for IAT 2024 and some effective strategies, visit our blog: IISER Aptitude test 2024 – (Preparation, strategy). Want to know about the admission process and eligibility criteria? Check our video IAT 2024 Exam- IISc & IISER Admission- Eligibility.
- JEE Advanced: If you have cracked the JEE Advanced exam in 2024, you have a golden opportunity to join the IISERs. You need to act fast because the seats are limited and the competition is fierce. You need to have a rank within 15000 in the common rank list or in the category-wise rank lists to be eligible for IISER admission. The JEE Advanced exam is conducted by a different IIT every year, so you need to check the official website for the latest updates and information. If you’re not sure which way to apply for admission to IISERs, check out our blog for guidance and clear up any confusion: IAT vs JEE, which is Easier?
What is the level of difficulty of the IISER Exam?
The entrance exam for the Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research (IISER) offers a moderate level of difficulty, similar to the JEE Main, but with the added twist of including Biology alongside Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics.
- To navigate this journey effectively, focus on understanding the question patterns rather than just the syllabus. Dive into Previous Year Questions (PYQs) and Mock Tests, which will help you master the art of tackling exam-specific problems. You can also try SciAstra books, which are specifically created for the IISER exam and IAT preparation. They have different levels of exercises, where level 1 has basic questions and level 2 has PYQs from 2017.
- This exam isn’t about rote memorization; it’s about grasping concepts and enhancing problem-solving skills. Scoring above the changing cut-off marks is your goal. Keep in mind that these cut-offs vary annually based on factors like the number of applicants and the test’s difficulty level.
- The competition is stiff, but your hard work and knowledge will set you apart. Always remember your success depends on your preparation. With dedication, consistent effort, and the right resources, the IISER exam can become more manageable. It’s your gateway to a world of scientific exploration, so seize the opportunity and embark on this exciting journey with confidence!
Is it possible to crack the IISER Entrance Exam?
The answer is yes, it is possible to crack the IAT if you prepare well and follow a smart strategy. Here are some tips that can help you ace the exam:
- Crack the syllabus and exam pattern: Don’t just know the syllabus for IAT, master it. You should study the syllabus and exam pattern well and find out your strong and weak areas.
- Plan your time smartly: Divide your time according to the importance of each subject and topic in the exam. You should also save some time for revision, mock tests, and clearing your doubts.
- Stick to a daily routine: Follow a daily routine, set realistic and achievable goals for yourself and monitor your progress regularly. Avoid distractions such as social media, TV, games, etc., and focus on your studies.
- Choose quality study material: Use quality study material that covers the syllabus thoroughly and provides plenty of practice questions. You can also use online platforms such as SciAstra, which provides you with the best teachers, study material, mock tests, doubt-clearing classes, and motivational sessions.
- Keep a Diary of Mistakes: Don’t repeat your mistakes.. Create a “Diary of Mistakes” where you note down your errors in mock tests and previous year’s papers. This will help you improve your accuracy and speed.
Is 100 a good score on the IISER Aptitude Test?
Well, there is no definitive answer to this question as the cutoff marks vary every year depending on various factors such as the number of applicants, the difficulty level of the exam, and the availability of seats in different IISERs. However, based on the previous year’s data, we can get some idea of the range of scores that are required to secure admission in various IISERs.
According to some latest year cutoffs, for general category students, IISER Pune had a closing rank of 175 in the first round, 441 in the second round, and 451 in the third round. On the other hand, IISER Kolkata had a closing rank of 401 in the first round, 841 in the second round, and 883 in the third round.
So, scoring 100 might not get you in the door immediately, but it’s not all gloom and doom. You can participate in the counselling process, holding onto the hope that vacant seats become available.
Remember, the real value lies in your enthusiasm for learning and your determination. Your passion for science and your hard work will take you a long way, no matter where you start. Keep pushing forward, and who knows, you might just find your place in an IISER!
SciAstra is a team of scientists and research scholars from the top research institutes around the world like Oxford, Harvard, Cambridge, and so on. Our vision is to promote critical thinking and scientific temperament by helping students pursue careers in science.
We offer many free and paid courses where our mentors from the top research institutes like IISER, NISER, IACS, CMI, ISI, IISC Bangalore, etc teach students in live classes, with study materials, mock tests, books, and everything needed. We have taught more than 10,000 students already since 2021 and achieved over 1000 selections with AIR 1, 7,10, 12, and 13 in IISc Bengaluru, IISERs, NISER, IACS, and so on. If you are looking to prepare for IAT / NEST 2024, you can check out our courses and get access to live classes, recorded lectures, study material, mock tests, doubt-clearing classes, and much more!