The National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER), Bhubaneshwar, is a one-of-a-kind institution in India dedicated to the generation, dissemination, and preservation of knowledge in basic sciences, with the goal of instilling zeal and enthusiasm in the minds of the nation’s young buds towards scientific temper. The Institute is connected with the Homi Bhabha National Institute (HBNI), Mumbai, a designated research university that regulates academic programmes at Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) institutions. NISER campus is situated in Odisha, in Jatni town, Bhubaneswar.
Academic program and activities:
- Science Education: With a flexible curriculum and an 8:1 student-to-teacher ratio, NISER serves as a centre of excellence for undergraduate and postgraduate education in basic sciences. NISER currently offers the following programmes in science education for brilliant and meritorious students selected on an all-India basis:
- NISER offers a 5-year integrated MSc programme in the core and growing fields of Basic Sciences for students who have completed their 10+2 Higher Secondary education. This will be combined with a PhD programme which will help in seeking employment in various R&D companies and industries throughout the country. Students get selected for integrated M.Sc. programs through a competitive annual examination, the National Entrance Screening Test (NEST).
- An integrated M.Sc.+ PhD programme involves a master’s degree (M.Sc.) followed by a doctorate (PhD). Students who have completed three years of undergraduate study are eligible to participate in the programme. Admission to this integrated PhD program is a 2-step process. Students seeking admission to Integrated MSc-PhD programmes must qualify for exams such as the Joint Entrance Test for MSc (JAM). The shortlisted candidates are required to qualify for an interview.
- PhD programme: The primary purpose of NISER is to provide an outstanding environment for students to cultivate creativity, imagination, and invention, paving the path for a career in scientific research in academic institutes, national and international research and development labs, companies, and so on. Applicants for the PhD programme must have cleared a national-level admission exam (like GATE, JGEEBILS, CSIR-NET, UGC-NET, NBHM or equivalent examination valid for the current year).
- Scientific Research: NISER promotes both experimental and theoretical research in frontier areas of the sciences. NISER currently includes seven distinct schools that specialize in various areas of science. They are as follows:
- School of Biological Sciences
- School of Chemical Sciences
- School of Computer Sciences
- School of Earth and Planetary Sciences
- School of Humanities and Social Sciences
- School of Mathematical Sciences
- School of Physical Sciences.
- Centre for Interdisciplinary Sciences
- Science Outreach & Policy: NISER actively participates in the dissemination of scientific knowledge to the general public and school students in order to build scientific temper, motivation, and inspiration for science education and careers. The institute’s academic members are also members of different government groups that determine science policies for the country.
Scholarships and Fees:
NISER has been included in a list of a few institutions where students directly qualify for a scholarship under the Scholarship for Higher Education (SHE) category of the INSPIRE (Innovation in Science Pursuit for Inspired Research) programme launched by the Government of India’s Department of Science and Technology.
To know more about the fees structure and scholarships, refer to Fees in NISER & CEBS.
The National Entrance Screening Test (NEST) is a mandatory test for admission to the 5-year Integrated MSc programme in basic sciences ( Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Physics ) at the National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER), Bhubaneswar, and the University of Mumbai’s UM-DAE CEBS, Mumbai.
To know more about the entrance exam, refer to NEST.
About us – At SciAstra, we guide students who want to become scientists and pursue research by helping them secure admissions in the top colleges for the same like IISER, NISER, CEBS, ICAR, CMI, etc.
Our mentors are from the top research institutes like IISER, NISER, IACS, CMI, IISc Bangalore, and so on. If you are looking to prepare for IAT / NEST 2023, you can check out our courses and get access to live classes, recorded lectures, study material, mock tests, doubt-clearing classes, and much more!