Many science stream students want to join IISc. IISc is an institute of national importance and is considered to be the best institute for research. Many of the students do not want to pursue medical or engineering. IISc serves to be the best alternative for IIT and AIMS. In this article, we will go through the undergraduate programs offered by IISc.
IISc currently offers two undergraduate programs:
- Bachelor of Science (Research) Program
- Bachelor of Technology Program
Bachelor of Science (Research) Program:
The Indian Institute of Science (IISc) introduces a unique 4-year Bachelor of Science (Research) program designed to provide a comprehensive education with a blend of science, engineering, and exposure to social sciences.
Program Structure Incorporates An Interdisciplinary Approach:
- Initial 1.5 years: Core courses in Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, Engineering, and Humanities
- Next 1.5 years (IV, V, VI semesters): Specialization with the option to choose electives from other streams.
- Final two years (VII and VIII semesters): Research-oriented projects under faculty supervision.
- Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biology, Materials, and Earth & Environmental Science
- Interdisciplinary character maintained, with students encouraged to take 30% of courses from other streams.
- Emphasis on research throughout, with a full-year project in the final two semesters.
- Inquiry skills developed over seven semesters applied to frame questions, explore answers, and communicate findings effectively.
Transition to Master of Science (MSc):
- Completion of Bachelor of Science (Research) allows the option to pursue a Master of Science degree with an additional year at IISc
- Secure at least 60% in 12th standard.
- SC/ST candidates only need to pass class 12th.
- Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics (PCM) are MUST in 12th.
- You can have additional subjects like Biology, but PCM is compulsory.
- You must clear the cut-off score in prescribed national entrance exams (details depend on program).
Once you meet the above requirement, you need to qualify for a cut-off in a national-level exam that is released every year.
IISc accepts scores for the following national-level exams for admission into the BS program:
- JEE Mains
- JEE Advance
Bachelor of Technology (BTech) in Mathematics and Computing:
The B Tech program at IISc focuses on making leaders in research and new technologies using math, computer science, and data science.
The B Tech program at the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) is designed to provide a comprehensive education in Mathematics and Computing. Let’s break down the course structure:
- The foundational part of the program includes core courses in Mathematics, Computing, Electrical Engineering, and Computer Science (EECS).
- These core courses form the essential building blocks, ensuring a strong understanding of the fundamental concepts in the field.
Soft Core Courses:
- Soft core courses offer flexibility by allowing students to choose from various courses in Mathematics and Computing.
- This customization enables students to tailor their education to align with their specific interests and career goals.
- The program provides a broad range of exciting elective courses for students to choose from.
- These electives offer in-depth exploration into specialized areas, allowing students to delve deeper into subjects of their choice.
- The course structure emphasizes hands-on learning through diverse projects.
- Students have the opportunity to engage in different projects, applying their theoretical knowledge to real-world scenario.
- The availability of diverse projects allows students to explore and specialize in areas that align with their interests and career aspirations.
Institute PG Medical School Initiative:
- A unique aspect of the program is its involvement in the Institute PG Medical School Initiative.
- Students have the opportunity to participate in projects related to precision and AI-enabled medicine, providing a bridge between technology and healthcare.
- Core courses cover Math, Computing, EECS, and Humanities.
- Soft Core Courses let you choose from Math and Computing.
- Lots of exciting elective courses to pick from.
- Diverse project options to choose what you’re interested in.
- Special projects in precision and AI-enabled medicine.
The basic eligibility criteria is the same as the BS program. The only difference is that IISc only accepts the JEE Advanced score for admission into the B. Tech. Program.
Click here to learn about the placement opportunities after IISc.
Apart from the UG programs, IISc also offers a range of PG programs. The list of this program is mentioned below:
Sure, here is a table detailing the post-graduate programs offered by the Indian Institute of Science (IISc):
|A two-year, course-based program designed to prepare students to address complex industrial and technological problems through an advanced knowledge of engineering subjects.
|A research-based program designed to prepare students for advanced engineering practice through research, development, production, design, and/or management
|A two-year full-time post-graduate program that aims to impart education in the design and development of products that are innovative and competitive
|The program aims to produce executives with expertise in technology management and business analytics and the ability to understand, assess and forecast how technologies impact the systems within and outside organizations
|M.Tech. (Online) for Sponsored Candidates
|An online program for sponsored candidate.
|A master’s degree in science
|A program that integrates a master’s and doctoral degree in a seamless manner
|M.Tech. (Research) and Ph.D. Programmes
|Research programs leading to M.Tech. (Research) and Ph.D.
SciAstra will soon publish a new blog in which we will discuss in detail the post-graduate programs at IISc
IISc is an institute of national importance and also the best research institute of India. IISc offers two different undergraduate programs: 1. BS Program 2. B. Tech. Program in Mathematics and Computer Science. The B. Tech. Program is a newly launched program and focusses on training students for the industrial sector. On the other hand, the BS program is aimed at training students for the research world. Both the programs have their own advantages. The detailed eligibility criteria and mode of admission into this program is mentioned in the blog above.
- Why consider IISc for undergraduate studies?
IISc is an institute of national importance renowned for research. It provides a strong alternative to traditional options like IIT and AIMS.
- What undergraduate programs does IISc offer?
IISc currently offers two undergraduate programs: Bachelor of Science (Research) Program and Bachelor of Technology Program.
- Can you explain the Bachelor of Science (Research) program structure?
The program spans 4 years with an interdisciplinary approach. The initial 1.5 years focus on core courses, followed by 1.5 years of specialization and the final two years dedicated to research-oriented projects.
- What specializations are offered in the Bachelor of Science (Research) program?
Specializations include Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biology, Materials, and Earth & Environmental Science. The program maintains an interdisciplinary character, encouraging students to take 30% of courses from other streams.
- How does the Bachelor of Science (Research) program integrate research?
Research is emphasized throughout the program, culminating in a full-year project in the final two semesters. Inquiry skills developed over seven semesters are applied to frame questions, explore answers, and communicate findings effectively.
- What are the eligibility criteria for the Bachelor of Science (Research) program?
Minimum 60% in 12th standard with PCM (Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics). SC/ST candidates only need to pass class 12th. Acceptable national-level exams include JEE Mains, JEE Advance, NEET-UG, and IAT.
- Tell me about the Bachelor of Technology (BTech) in Mathematics and Computing program.
The B Tech program focuses on creating leaders in research and new technologies using math, computer science, and data science. The course structure includes core courses, soft core courses, elective courses, and hands-on projects, with special projects in precision and AI-enabled medicine.
SciAstra is a team of scientists and research scholars from the top research institutes around the world, like Oxford, Harvard, Cambridge, and so on. Our vision is to promote critical thinking and scientific temperament by helping students pursue careers in science.
We offer many free and paid courses where our mentors from the top research institutes like IISER, NISER, IACS, CMI, ISI, IISC Bangalore, etc., teach students in live classes, with study materials, mock tests, books, and everything needed. We have taught more than 10,000 students already since 2021 and achieved over 1000 selections with AIR 1, 7,10, 12, and 13 in IISc Bengaluru, IISERs, NISER, IACS, and so on. If you are looking to prepare for IAT / NEST 2024, you can check out our courses and get access to live classes, recorded lectures, study material, mock tests, doubt-clearing classes, and much more!