If you are a science enthusiast who wants to pursue a career in research and innovation, you might be wondering which course to choose after your 12th standard. You might have heard of MBBS, the most popular and sought-after course in the medical field. But did you know that there is another option that can offer you a rewarding and exciting career in science? Yes, we are talking about IISER, the Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research.
What are IISERs?
IISERs are a group of seven premier institutes in India that offer undergraduate and postgraduate programs in various fields of science such as physics, chemistry, biology, mathematics, earth and environmental sciences, and humanities. IISERs are known for their focus on interdisciplinary research, cutting-edge facilities, and world-class faculty. IISERs also offer a unique five-year dual degree program called BS-MS, which combines a bachelor’s and a master’s degree in science.
Some of the courses that IISERs offer are:
- BS-MS in Biological Sciences: This course covers topics such as molecular biology, genetics, biochemistry, microbiology, immunology, ecology, evolution, and neuroscience. Students can pursue research in areas such as biotechnology, bioinformatics, drug discovery, and biomedical sciences.
- BS-MS in Earth and Environmental Sciences: This course covers topics such as geology, geophysics, geochemistry, hydrology, climatology, oceanography, and ecology. Students can pursue research in areas such as natural hazards, climate change, water resources, and biodiversity conservation.
- Similarly there are a variety of courses in Physics, Chemistry, Maths, and so on. You can check websites of individual IISERs to know more.
What is MBBS?
MBBS stands for Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery. It is a four-and-a-half-year undergraduate course followed by a one-year compulsory internship. MBBS is the entry-level qualification for becoming a doctor in India. MBBS covers various subjects such as anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, pharmacology, pathology, microbiology, forensic medicine, community medicine, medicine, surgery, obstetrics and gynaecology, paediatrics, etc.
IISER V/s MBBS:
Now that you know what IISER and MBBS are, let us compare them on some important parameters and see which of these two might be a better choice for you.
- To get admission to MBBS, you have to clear the NEET exam, which is one of the most competitive exams in India. More than 20 lakh students appear for NEET every year for around 80 thousand seats in government and private medical colleges. The cut-off marks and ranks are very high and the competition is very tough.
- To get admission to IISER, you have two options: IAT or JEE Advanced, which, while competitive, are often considered less daunting than NEET. The relative obscurity of IISERs in comparison to NEET can make their entrance exams seem more approachable. This contrast raises the appeal of IISERs, as they provide a less crowded path to academic and scientific exploration, fostering an environment of innovation and discovery.
- To know more details about what IAT is, how to prepare for IAT 2024 and some effective strategies, visit our blog: IAT 2024 – ( Preparation, strategy) and to know more about the previous year’s cutoff for the JEE Advanced exam for IISER admission, click here.
- The curriculum of MBBS is very vast and covers a lot of theoretical and practical aspects of medicine. However, it is also very rigid and does not allow much flexibility or choice for the students. You have to study all the subjects prescribed by the Medical Council of India (MCI) and follow a fixed schedule of lectures, labs, clinics, and exams.
- The curriculum of IISER is very flexible and allows you to explore your interests and passions in science. You can choose from a wide range of courses offered by different departments. You also have the opportunity to do research projects under the guidance of eminent scientists and professors.
- The career prospects of MBBS are very good but also very demanding. You have to work long hours in hospitals and clinics and deal with various kinds of patients and diseases. You also have to keep yourself updated with the latest developments and innovations in medicine. If you want to specialize in a particular branch of medicine, you have to clear more exams such as MD (Doctor of Medicine), MS (Master of Surgery), DM (Doctorate of Medicine), etc., which can take several more years.
- The career prospects of IISER are also very good but also very diverse. You can pursue higher studies such as PhD or postdoctoral research in India or abroad in various fields of science. You can also join academia as a teacher or researcher in universities or institutes. You can also work in industries such as biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, nanotechnology, etc., or join government organizations such as ISRO (Indian Space Research Organization), DRDO (Defence Research and Development Organization), CSIR (Council of Scientific and Industrial Research), etc. For more information regarding IISERs placement, click here.
So, is IISER better than MBBS? The answer ultimately depends on your interests, skills, and career goals. As you can see, both IISER and MBBS both can lead you to successful careers in science. However, they are also very different from each other in terms of admission process, curriculum structure, and career options. Therefore, you should choose the one that suits your interests, aptitude, and goals better.
If you are passionate about research and innovation and want to explore the mysteries of nature and the universe, IISER might be a better choice for you. IISER will give you the freedom and flexibility to pursue your curiosity and creativity in science. You will also get to learn from and work with some of the best minds in science.
If you are fascinated by medicine and want to serve humanity by curing diseases and saving lives, MBBS might be a better choice for you. MBBS will give you the knowledge and skills to diagnose and treat various health problems. In the end, your choice should align with your aspirations and what you envision for your future.
SciAstra is a team of scientists and research scholars from the top research institutes around the world like Oxford, Harvard, Cambridge, and so on. Our vision is to promote critical thinking and scientific temperament by helping students pursue careers in science.
We offer many free and paid courses where our mentors from the top research institutes like IISER, NISER, IACS, CMI, ISI, IISC Bangalore, etc teach students in live classes, with study materials, mock tests, books, and everything needed. We have taught more than 10,000 students already since 2021 and achieved over 1000 selections with AIR 1, 7,10, 12, and 13 in IISc Bengaluru, IISERs, NISER, IACS, and so on. If you are looking to prepare for IAT / NEST 2024, you can check out our courses and get access to live classes, recorded lectures, study material, mock tests, doubt-clearing classes, and much more!